Thursday, October 27, 2011

RETROWOOD ARRIVES!


My boxes of Retrowood books showed up this week from Ka-Blam Printers and I've been busily shipping out copies the last couple of days. Doing comics anymore is a real labor of love, and seeing this one gave me a special feeling of satisfaction, since the initial concept was something I started working on way back in the late '80s. It's good to know that things do eventually happen.



There are still a few copies left of this very limited print run for any of you interested. And I thought I'd post more drawings from the next Retrowood story that is in the works: All Roads Lead to Rome.


 




 DON'T MISS YOUR CHANCE TO OWN YOUR COPY OF THE 
  LIMITED EDITION RETROWOOD TRADEPAPERBACK.

128 PAGES

B&W WITH COLOR COVER THREE ORIGINAL STORIES

WITH BONUS FEATURES INCLUDING SKETCHES AND
THUMBNAIL PAGES. ALL FOR ONLY  
$25.00
EACH SIGNED COPY WILL ALSO COME WITH A PIECE OF
ORIGINAL ARTWORK FROM THE BOOK SIGNED BY VOZ!!

ONLY 200 COPIES OF THIS BOOK WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE

For more information go to: http://vozart.com/Retrowood5


FOREIGN ORDERS CHECK FOR ADDITIONAL POSTAGE

Since this is the eventual fruition of one project, I thought it only fitting that I should post some of the sketches I've been doing over the past year of a strip that I started developing as "The Cat and the Crow".






The central character is  Nefertiti, a young girl caught between technology and mysticism. The cat and crow are the guides that have been sent to help her along the way. One of the things that inspired the drawings was a clip I saw on YouTube about a crow that had adopted a starving kitten, and the two became fast friends.





We'll see how this develops. I've already seen a major shift of characters and location.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mike:

    Thanks very much for the two copies of RETROWOOD. I'm giving it the thorough, systematic reading it deserves. I find I know all of it well in fragments, but have never been able to grasp the continuous narrative through each story in any sort of comprehensive way.

    The "Daisy Chain" episode strikes me as completely masterful and the last four pages of narrative are, in terms of both story and pictures, the absolute peak of your performance in the book-- just my personal appraisal-- there is much more to admire, of course.

    Your drawing seems snappier to me and more solid than it was twenty years ago when you drew the AMERICAN FLAGG cover for Howard which was just on E-bay auction for 800 clams last week.

    In short, you're getting better, not just older.

    It's a gorgeous book, Mike, and it's something I'll return to again and again, like I did the Lori books.

    Thanks for the gift, pal.

    Great imagination, great drawing and great story. The whole run ought to be a sellout if there were any justice in this world.


    Norman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike

    I just recieved my copy of Retrowood, and boy does it look great. It has the look and feel of an older detective novel, and the drawings look fantastic. All of the characters really come alive with great facial expressions, and wonderful details. Really something to be proud of man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great news, following even greater news! Can't wait to rea dit!

    ReplyDelete